Saturday, May 12, 2012

Daniel Ridgway Knight Artwork in Gamble House



During my recent behind the scenes tour of the Gamble House with Jim Ipekjian I noticed an oil painting of a Dutch girl.  Since we were not allowed to take pictures I wrote down the name of the painter and looked up information about him later online.

His name was Daniel Ridgway Knight (1839-1924) and if you search his name for images you can see a whole collection of his work, any of which would be gorgeous in a bungalow home.  It looks like prints are available and there are some reproduction services out there but I am not sure what to think of that idea--maybe someone can enlighten me.

I took this picture of a picture to show you the painting hanging in the Gamble House (from the Randell Makinson book Greene & Greene: The Passion and the Legacy). This book features large scale photographs to drool over while you dream in Greene & Greene!

Daniel's son Louis Aston Knight also has work that would beautifully grace your home.

Here are a few more I like:


Connecticut Shoreline in Autumn

by Louis Aston Knight, Daniel's son